I love, love, LOVE falafel but despise that it is deep fried. Since I've been trying to lose my extra baby weight that I gained while pregnant with my "baby" (who is now 2 and a half) I've been looking for some healthier recipes and thought I would give this one a go. This turned out better than I expected!
- 15oz can of garbanzo beans/chickpeas drained
- 1/2 onion roughly chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- olive oil spray for the bottom of the crock pot
- plain greek yogurt
- Mash beans in a small bowl (I used a pastry blender because the fork wasn't cutting it)
- Add onion, parsley, garlic, egg, salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, and lemon into a blender or food processor and blend until mixed.
- Pour mixture in with the beans, add bread crumbs and combine.
- Spray the bottom of your crock pot liberally with the olive oil spray (or just pour about 2 tablespoons in)
- Make golfball sized falafel balls (like you would make a meatball) and flatten between the palms of your hands. Place in the bottom of your pot.
- Mix the plain greek yogurt with the dill, salt and pepper and refrigerate.
- Cook on high for about 4 hours or low for about 6. These you will have to watch.
- To prepare, spoon yogurt into a pita, add lettuce, red onion and finally the falafel.